Skip to main content

TO EVERYTHING THERE IS A SEASON



  To everything, there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  A time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted. Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
Almost any field you drove past this week had a tractor in it. Whether they were planting or working up the ground farmers had a busy week. Although most farmers now use no-till or low-till methods of crop farming to help with soil erosion among other things you will still see ground being worked by certain types of equipment. The saying "Make hay while the sun shines" also applies to planting. The past week was incredibly busy around here. I will confess it did not affect me other than running back and forth to the fields. Corn was planted, then sprayed, a few loads of pigs went out, and a new group of chickens had just come in. All while cows needed milked 3 times a day.
   I know people can get frustrated when they're running late for work or where ever they may be going and get stuck behind a tractor. Try and remember its not the farmer's fault your running late. they are working so all you have to do is grab what you want at the store to eat. I'm a farmer's wife and even I have been guilty when by my own fault I was running late (I usually am) and got behind a tractor and got more worked up. That said I know it's not their fault its mine.
  Nowadays farming is a hot topic. So many opinions on how it should or shouldn't be done what is safe and what isn't. Some of these topics can lead to heated discussions or even angry debates. I get it, we love our families and we care about what is safe and what isn't. Like I said if you live near farms you probably saw the equipment in the fields this week some of which were sprayers. The should they or shouldn't they when it comes to what is sprayed on fields can be a real issue for some. While everyone is entitled to their opinions before you pass judgment or get angry do yourself and the farmers of America a favor, ask a farmer! Do not ask Alexa, Google, or even see what your favorite celebrity thinks. Surprise! farmers do not even all agree on how things should be done. If you have a concern just ask. Most farmers are more than happy to explain and answer questions.
   It was also another week of online learning for my oldest. This week she was thrilled when her teacher said she could show a peep during the weekly video chat. There stood my very proud five year old as she showed a few classmates and her teacher a cute little peep. The jaw drops and shocked looks when she informed them she had about 180,000 that she helped put in when we got them was priceless and adorable. Just two more weeks of online learning and, she nailed it!!!! She stuck it out and did a great job. The School year will be done and back to the barn we will go. The kids are excited, well the two that are old enough to understand and I'm just as excited if not more than them.
Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME IS NO LONGER MINE

 My child: “Mom!!! I'm hungry, can I have a snack?” Me: “I just gave you a snack.” My child: “But I’m still hungry.” My child: “Mom!!! When is dad coming home?” Me: “He was just in for lunch it will be a while.” *Crash* Me: “Girls what fell?” My child: “Mom she broke the closet door again.” Seconds later... Me: “Get off the kitchen counter we just had lunch I'll get you a snack in a little bit.” Me:“Stop jumping on the sofa!!” Me: “Do not let the dog in he just ran though mud!!!” These our the conversations or things I say almost daily.         Yes my days are filled with breaking up fights, time outs, hugs, laughs, laundry, cleaning up spills, and the list goes on and on. I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s only  March and at times I’m counting down till they start chopping rye. Something about the excitement of that first harvest of the year makes us all a little excited and happier after a long the winter indoors. Yes, it means long, long hours
           As I look around my house toys are everywhere, shoes are strewn about, hats with names of seed companies hang on chairs, and another load of laundry needs put away. I can't help but hope and pray someone doesn't show up at the door, on second thought who cares. It's the middle of harvest and the last few days my house has been a revolving door. Between carpool drop off and pick up, lots of little kids in and out, a husband stopping in to grab lunch not having time to take his shoes off, and milking cows,  keeping my house completely free of any toys or dirt is literally impossible. No matter how hard I try.      The week ended with a bang. Corn was combined, stalks shredded, bailed, stacked away, and the smell of freshly hauled manure filled my house, despite all the candles burning. The kids took turns riding along with Blake and time spent in the barn with me.      Savannah was kind enough to point out several days while climbing in the car after school that I

Silent strength

    Blood, sweat, and tears are not just put forth by the farmer himself. What you don’t see is the Blood, sweat, and tears in the form of silent strength, love, patience, and encouragement given to him from behind closed doors. Put forth by the woman who loves and supports him.      Although this may not be as evident as the man you pass in the field planting crops, filling silo at 1a.m., or helping a cow in labor it is a very real, and silent part of many family farms. Like her husband, she pours her heart and soul into a lifestyle she loves and respects although it may look different it’s still part of what keeps her going. Focused on keeping things running smoothly behind the scenes. Helping one child with schoolwork while getting the toddler out of the snack cabinet for the tenth time because supper is on the stove almost ready, the baby who had her up all night is clinging to her fussing because he's teething only to get a call saying "hey hun I won’t be in till late&