Skip to main content

TIME IS NO LONGER MINE




 My child: “Mom!!! I'm hungry, can I have a snack?”
Me: “I just gave you a snack.”
My child: “But I’m still hungry.”

My child: “Mom!!! When is dad coming home?”
Me: “He was just in for lunch it will be a while.”
*Crash*
Me: “Girls what fell?”
My child: “Mom she broke the closet door again.”

Seconds later...
Me: “Get off the kitchen counter we just had lunch I'll get you a snack in a little bit.”

Me:“Stop jumping on the sofa!!”

Me: “Do not let the dog in he just ran though mud!!!”

These our the conversations or things I say almost daily.


        Yes my days are filled with breaking up fights, time outs, hugs, laughs, laundry, cleaning up spills, and the list goes on and on. I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s only  March and at times I’m counting down till they start chopping rye. Something about the excitement of that first harvest of the year makes us all a little excited and happier after a long the winter indoors. Yes, it means long, long hours for Blake but being in the fields is something he loves and the kids love riding with him and packing up lunch and supper to deliver to him. In some strange way the crazy business that comes with spring is a breath of fresh air, and a break from the same old same from winter.

     I have heard moms say they feel like they don’t know how to be their own person after having kids, or needing "me time".  I have no answer at all for this, not even sure I have thought much about it. I have thought about locking myself in my room for a few minutes for a mom time-out now and then. That said, I know moms are not the only ones who wish they could put themselves in a time out. Maybe it’s not so much being your own person after having kids, but being a better new version of yourself. I’m not the same person I was before kids, but is that a bad thing?  I would hope that I am a better version of myself. I have been blessed with a husband, and three children. I now want to be the best wife and mom that I can be. Time is no longer mine, it revolves around them and the farm. This is not to say that having a hobby or an outlet isn’t something a lot of us need or want, believe me I do. I just want to remember to view my life as a mom as a blessing that is not to be taken for granted. Rather than how can I have something separate from that. I want to enjoy the days that revolve around kids, cows, field work, housework and giggles. I know in a few years when my days a more full of the farm work, house work, and less of the child care I will miss the messes and diapers and sound of little feet chasing each other.

Comments

  1. ❤️ prayers for you as you continue to recover. Miss you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Becky! You are a great mom and you love your family well <3 Praying for you as you juggle your recovery time with caring for your kids in creative ways right now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

           As I look around my house toys are everywhere, shoes are strewn about, hats with names of seed companies hang on chairs, and another load of laundry needs put away. I can't help but hope and pray someone doesn't show up at the door, on second thought who cares. It's the middle of harvest and the last few days my house has been a revolving door. Between carpool drop off and pick up, lots of little kids in and out, a husband stopping in to grab lunch not having time to take his shoes off, and milking cows,  keeping my house completely free of any toys or dirt is literally impossible. No matter how hard I try.      The week ended with a bang. Corn was combined, stalks shredded, bailed, stacked away, and the smell of freshly hauled manure filled my house, despite all the candles burning. The kids took turns riding along with Blake and time spent in the barn with me.      Savannah was kind enough to point out several days while climbing in the car after school that I

Silent strength

    Blood, sweat, and tears are not just put forth by the farmer himself. What you don’t see is the Blood, sweat, and tears in the form of silent strength, love, patience, and encouragement given to him from behind closed doors. Put forth by the woman who loves and supports him.      Although this may not be as evident as the man you pass in the field planting crops, filling silo at 1a.m., or helping a cow in labor it is a very real, and silent part of many family farms. Like her husband, she pours her heart and soul into a lifestyle she loves and respects although it may look different it’s still part of what keeps her going. Focused on keeping things running smoothly behind the scenes. Helping one child with schoolwork while getting the toddler out of the snack cabinet for the tenth time because supper is on the stove almost ready, the baby who had her up all night is clinging to her fussing because he's teething only to get a call saying "hey hun I won’t be in till late&