Skip to main content

A FACE BEHIND THE FARM




        While messing with my phone in the waiting room I somehow deleted the original version of this post from last week and I can’t get it back.😜 So I guess I will take the opportunity to edit it a little. I woke up this morning wondering if me trying to start a blog about farm life and my life as a mom was even a good idea. I’m not a big social media person and there are a lot of farmers wives who are very talented writers blogging about there experience and it’s intimidating.  After a trip to New England last summer I realized by billboards I had seen that there is a lot of misinformation out there about agriculture and thought maybe If I give it a shot I could shed a positive light on farming. I have second guessed myself daily about writing about our life and this morning said God I don’t know about this? It might not be for me( Not that writing this blog is in anyway changing my life right now). To me putting my thoughts and life out there for anyone to read is a big deal for me. After taking my daughter to school and running some errands I was looking at the news and came across an article about a politician belittling farmers. My feelings about the importance of educating the public on agriculture were confirmed. Farmers are not simple minded old men who only wear overalls and plaid shirts sitting on stools milking a cow by hand, they are very smart men and women. They are a vet, scientist, mechanic, accountant, contractor and many more things all rolled into one person. Yes there are times a trained vet, or contractor, or mechanic are needed but in the day to day they take on many roles to care for the farm themselves to be successful and functioning.  We are a family farm, my husband farms with his 2 brothers and there dad.We do have some hired help to help with some milkings but most of the work is not done by hired help but by these 4 men. On top of  running the farm they are all loving husbands, fathers, sons, uncles and one very proud grandpa. It takes a lot of work, patience, extending grace, and faith to keep things going. Like any business you have to put in a lot of time, care, and energy to see it do well.  You will never find two farms that are run the same just as no two banks or stores are run exactly the same, they find what works best for there situation and learn from mistakes how to make something better. Farming is no different, sure there are the basics but also a lot of continuing to educate yourself and find what works best for your unique situation. They are always finding new and improved ways to make animals more comfortable, equipment to run smoother and technology is huge in agriculture. everything from improved GPS in tractors to cooling systems for cows so they don't get to hot in the summer and brushes for them to rub against just because they like it, and the list doesn't end there. Working full time takes on a whole new meaning when you are a farmer. You don’t put in an 8 hour day or 40 hour week. During harvest you may work a 22 hour day sleep 2 hours and wake up and do it again. It’s not as simple as digging a hole and planting a seed. For planting soil is tested and the right seeds are chosen there is not just one type of corn. There is so much more that goes on behind the scenes than people are aware of. This picture is of my husband and sweet kids and these are the faces of an American family farm.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TIME IS NO LONGER MINE

 My child: “Mom!!! I'm hungry, can I have a snack?” Me: “I just gave you a snack.” My child: “But I’m still hungry.” My child: “Mom!!! When is dad coming home?” Me: “He was just in for lunch it will be a while.” *Crash* Me: “Girls what fell?” My child: “Mom she broke the closet door again.” Seconds later... Me: “Get off the kitchen counter we just had lunch I'll get you a snack in a little bit.” Me:“Stop jumping on the sofa!!” Me: “Do not let the dog in he just ran though mud!!!” These our the conversations or things I say almost daily.         Yes my days are filled with breaking up fights, time outs, hugs, laughs, laundry, cleaning up spills, and the list goes on and on. I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s only  March and at times I’m counting down till they start chopping rye. Something about the excitement of that first harvest of the year makes us all a little excited and happier after a long the winter indoors. Yes, it means long, long hours
           As I look around my house toys are everywhere, shoes are strewn about, hats with names of seed companies hang on chairs, and another load of laundry needs put away. I can't help but hope and pray someone doesn't show up at the door, on second thought who cares. It's the middle of harvest and the last few days my house has been a revolving door. Between carpool drop off and pick up, lots of little kids in and out, a husband stopping in to grab lunch not having time to take his shoes off, and milking cows,  keeping my house completely free of any toys or dirt is literally impossible. No matter how hard I try.      The week ended with a bang. Corn was combined, stalks shredded, bailed, stacked away, and the smell of freshly hauled manure filled my house, despite all the candles burning. The kids took turns riding along with Blake and time spent in the barn with me.      Savannah was kind enough to point out several days while climbing in the car after school that I

Silent strength

    Blood, sweat, and tears are not just put forth by the farmer himself. What you don’t see is the Blood, sweat, and tears in the form of silent strength, love, patience, and encouragement given to him from behind closed doors. Put forth by the woman who loves and supports him.      Although this may not be as evident as the man you pass in the field planting crops, filling silo at 1a.m., or helping a cow in labor it is a very real, and silent part of many family farms. Like her husband, she pours her heart and soul into a lifestyle she loves and respects although it may look different it’s still part of what keeps her going. Focused on keeping things running smoothly behind the scenes. Helping one child with schoolwork while getting the toddler out of the snack cabinet for the tenth time because supper is on the stove almost ready, the baby who had her up all night is clinging to her fussing because he's teething only to get a call saying "hey hun I won’t be in till late&